Minutes TAG Council 21/1/2000 – parts 2 and 3
Minutes agreed – no new matters of discussion.
2) REPORTS BY PRESIDENTIAL TEAM
2)a) President’s Report
i) Nominations for Junior Vice President
Regions had been circulated by the Secretary and asked for nominations for suitable candidates for the next Junior Vice President. Outstanding nominations to be sent to the Secretary.
It was agreed that the Presidential Team select a suitable candidate from nominations received and prepare suitable proposals to be put to the AGM in May 2000.
ii) President’s Seminar 4/5 May 2000
The President explained that he was looking at a changed format for his seminar this year and he outlined his proposals to date, as follows :-
Arranged for the 4th/5th May 2000 at the Avisford Park, Stakis Hotel, Arundel in West Sussex.
Changed format, previously endorsed :
Thursday 4th May: Inaugural Luncheon, Speaker – Chris Brearley,
Director General of Planning, Roads and Local Transport.
Regional Presentations, of best and innovative practice.
NE Yorkshire and Humber Wales
NW London N. Ireland
E Midlands SE
W Midlands SW
Social Evening – to be finalised
Friday 5th May: AGM
Technical Committee’s Workshops
Operations, Management and Procurement
Water and Resources Management
Property and Estates Management
“BBC” Style Question Time, Chaired by the BBC Presenter John Radford
Invited Guests: Francis Maude
Gala Dinner and Reception with Guest speaker
(To be decided)
There would also be :-
Retired members concessionary rates
Concessionary Weekend rates.
Social Evening on Thursday
Accompanied Partners Programme
The President and Seminar Manager were meeting shortly to finalise arrangements.
Action: President & Seminar Manager
Following constitutional changes discussed at the recent MAG meeting it was agreed that a Constitution Working party be set up comprising of the President, Senior Vice President, Junior Vice President, R Eacott, R Fairclough, J Kinchesh. They were tasked with reviewing the TAG constitution, particularly in respect of :-
The removal of appointed ‘TAG Officers’ voting rights at TAG Council and other meetings
TAG Officers roles, responsibilities and duties – job descriptions
Review of membership categories in line with TAG Futures proposals.
The President to prepare a report for the AGM.
Action: President & Constitution Working Party
iv) Committee Terms of Reference
The President raised the issue of Committee terms of reference and felt that each should regularly review their terms of reference. Many members said that this had only recently been done in some cases.
It was agreed that the Secretary should write to each Committee and to ask for the updated Terms of Reference and Business Plan so that he could co-ordinate the information for all Committees.
v) The President informed the meeting that he had held discussions with the AME who now informed him that they could provide a secretariat from ICE HQ if required.
2)b) Senior Vice President’s Report
Jo Field explained that there are still some minor problems to resolve on the web site but that it was now up and running. More information had been added to the site recently and various members had been tasked with keeping sections of the site up to date.
Action: Jo Field & Members
ii) Communications Strategy
This matter is tied up with the TAG futures document and it was agreed that TAG will be in a better position to discuss a communication strategy once the future TAG structure has been finalised.
iii) Best Value / District Audit
Jo Field explained the Memorandum of Understanding between TAG and the District Audit which had been circulated to all Regional Chairman and sought approval to signing of this protocol and to pursuing this course of action.
It was agree that he should pursue this course of action.
Action: Jo Field.
Details of the Protocol between TAG and WATO had already been discussed under Part 1 Item 1)a).
Jo Field informed the Council that Denys Morgan had been recently honoured in the New Years Honours List and it was agreed that the President would write to congratulate him.
2)c) Junior Vice President’s Report
i) MAG Composition
At present only four Regions are represented on MAG in any year, however, the Junior Vice Chairman considered that there should be a representative from all Regions on MAG. Particularly as MAG looked at such important issues such as membership, financial management, marketing and publications.
As the Chairman and Secretary attend Council he proposed that the vice Chairman of each Region should be the nominated representative on MAG. This would also tie in with his role as Junior Vice President and give some continuity between MAG Council with the Regions.
Council agreed Neil Bates proposals on the composition of MAG.
Action: Presidential Team
ii) Best Value
Neil Bates proposed that a special TAG Best Value Group be set up as he felt that this important subject cut across all other committee work. In the future he envisaged a different form of working for local authorities and a need to exchange experiences with other organisations. It was important for TAG to seize this opportunity and in doing so, raise the profile of the TAG membership.
In order to start the process off he agreed to set up the first meeting and proposed that the TAG Junior Vice President Chair the meetings. He envisaged support for the membership of such a group from each Standing Committee or Regional Committee, who would send one representative each.
John Juddah, Best Value Chairman of the OMP Committee explained that his group was looking at Best Value, but that as the subject cut across all services it had become a big issue for one person to co-ordinate. In order to do more, he felt that a larger group was necessary. He supported the formation of the Best Value Group and volunteered his services to assist.
Jo Field indicated that he would like to see the terms of reference of the new group and the inter-relationship with TAG Committees and other groups. He suggested that the first meeting decide the terms of reference and then send it to the Chairman of the other TAG Committees.
Ian Cooper supported the formation of a Best Value Group and explained that the SW Committee had a Best Value Officer who was collating all the Best value information within the SW for members usage. Other Regions could do the same and feed the information into the new group.
It was agreed that the Junior Vice Chairman set up an initial meeting and invites representatives from all TAG Committees initially, to agree terms of reference for the new group.
As there were several other topics which cut across the various Standing Committees the Junior Vice President questioned the terms of reference of these committees as did Adrian Golland. The Secretary indicated that he would include these comments in the letter when he wrote to all the Chairmen as instructed under Item 2)a)iv)
Action: Junior Vice President & Secretary
2)d) Immediate Past President
The Immediate Past President mentioned that he had attended a recent meeting of the LGA Construction Forum. He indicated that the first meeting had been held in September 1999arry Holden queried why the Property Committee is not represented on the Forum and raised the issue of membership of the Forum. He indicated that FPS had three nominations but TAG had only two and that one nominee was not on the Property Committee. The IPP suggested that nominations were done by the LGA and were based on individuals not organisations: also that the Construction Forum was about more than property construction.
The President agreed to discuss this matter with Adrian after the meeting.
Adrian had attended the last LGA Forum meeting and had offered our Roadshow system of seminars for disseminating the benefits of the Construction Client Charter. Seminars could be badged jointly but any profits or losses retained by the organising body.
Action: Seminar Manager & Immediate Past President
Action: Seminar Manager & Immediate Past President
2)e) Past President
3) OTHER TAG ISSUES
Venues for meetings in London are becoming more difficult to find. The LGA have offered premises for a TAG Regeneration Committee meeting. Anyone with information on other venues suitable for meetings in London, please inform the Secretary.
4) REPORT OF OFFICERS
a) General Secretary
i) Membership Issues
The Secretary informed Council that there had been the following changes in membership since the last meeting.
3 changes of members address
3 members transferring to retired membership
1 new associate member
2 new members
The Secretary indicated that he was currently sorting out the up to date membership list with the Treasurer, who would hold the master copy of the membership list.
ii) Matters Arising from MAG on 17 December 1999
The Secretary raised the issue of communication between members and suggested a grapevine type of system would speed up information. Also, if everyone could let him have an email address then again information could be dispatched much more quickly and effectively to all members. Effective use of the web site would also remove the need for large amounts of information to be sent to all members as it could be downloaded my members as required.
Adrian Golland had taken on the position of National Membership Co-ordinator and he hoped that each region would now appoint a Membership Co-ordinator. Their first job would be to provide an up to date list of members with email addresses and a suitable contact list for their Region. Then to propose a method of encouraging new members to join TAG.
The Past President would report progress at each Council meeting.
In view of the impending changes in membership it may be necessary to review membership subscriptions in the near future.
Action: Immediate Past President & Secretary
b) Honorary Treasurer
The Treasurers report was tabled which set out the financial position of TAG at 20 December 1999. Using various assumptions the Treasurer had predicted the likely outturn financial position for the end of the financial year to be approximately £1000 in deficit.
The Treasurer had requested surplus funds from the Northern Ireland Region to be transferred to the National account and he was awaiting this transfer of funds.
c) The Public Relations Officer
John Holdsworth is always on the lookout for interesting articles for the bulletin. At the present moment the Bulletin is being produced in paper form as well as in email form. It is hoped that in the near future it will be available on the TAG web site and can be distributed electronically.
The Bulletin Editor also considered that TAG needs to produce more papers for publication, if possible, to supplement the costs of producing the Bulletin. Sales of certain TAG publications had gone well, such as the Business Excellent Model paper advertised at the Best Value Seminars, but he could do with some new ones to sell.
The President asked Technical Committees to consider whether a suitable paper could be prepared for TAG publication.
Action: Technical Committees
d) The Seminar Manager
The Seminar Manager indicated that the Best Value Seminars had gone well but that the turnout of members attending had been low. The seminar in Bristol had to be cancelled due to lack of numbers. Due to the poor attendance, this first series of seminars would make a small financial loss overall.
The Seminar Manager considered that his original brief to provide 16 seminars around the country each year could not be sustained in terms of topics and turnout of members. He therefore proposed two major seminars at three centres of population each year, in addition to the Presidential Seminar. This would not preclude TAG Regions from organising their own local seminars as necessary. Following a short debate the seminar numbers were agreed.
The Council also felt that perhaps the seminars could save money if they were held at local authority venues instead of a hotel. Adrian Golland indicated that more people would be likely to attend if the seminars could be jointly badged with other organisations. It was also felt that there should be some form of discount system for 2/3 delegates and for Associate Members.
The next seminar would probably be held in June after the Presidential Seminar and the original topic suggested was The Local Transport Bill or Sustainable Transport. The Seminar Manager asked that each Technical Committee consider suitable topics for future seminars and let him know as soon as possible. Other topics suggested were Waste Management, Crime Prevention and a Best Value follow up.
The Seminar Manager was also open to suggestions of suitable local government venues for future seminars.
Action: Seminar Manager
1) STANDING COMMITTEES
c) Transportation – presentation
d) Operations, Management & Procurement
e) Property & Estates Management
f) Leisure – no report
g) Water Resources & Management
h) International Affairs
l) Management Advisory Group
2) REPORTS FROM REGIONS
a) West Midlands
h) South East – verbal
j) South West
3) ANY OTHER BUSINESS
4) DATE OF NEXT MEETINGS
Friday 14 April 2000
Friday 21 July 2000
Friday 20 October 2000
APPENDIX No 1
TAG COUNCIL MEETING ON 21 JANUARY 2000
IN COMMITTEE ROOM 3 AT THE GUILDHALL, LONDON
DISCUSSION ON THE FUTURE OF TAG
David Thomson – agreed TAG has to change, but was concerned that SOLACE should not take over TAG. He could see the advantages of sharing administration functions and other areas of overlap.
John Barkley – not sure about three levels of membership and thought that TAG should be at the top of the flower model not SOLACE – TAG should get out there and lead.
Jo Field – explained the flower model of a future organisation and the different tier levels of membership.
Keith Feltham – further explained his understanding of the flower model.
Keith Millington – was committed to the principle of the flower model but was unclear about the cross cutting of college associations.
Jo Field – indicated that he would like to take the flower model to the negotiating table as the TAG model of a future organisation, for discussions with other organisations.
Neil Bates – felt that TAG could add to the quality of other organisations, but we have not got time to dwell on getting a model of a future organisation absolutely correct.
Adrian Golland – outlined how the TAG model would operate on a ‘petal’ basis with Regional and Standing Committees and with other organisations.
Alan Tyler ( FPS ) – considered that local government had not got a strong voice and could only gain one by joining together and agreed with the college and cross boundary working flower model. But, he was concerned that TAG did not underestimate the value of other professional societies, that a single administration may nor be necessary and the way TAG was developing its web site ( the web site development was subsequently explained to his satisfaction ).
John Rainbow – TAG must not put anything in place which excludes other organisations, it should not put a ceiling, or barrier, in the various levels of membership, as all members have a contribution to make and must have a access throughout the organisation.
Keith Feltham – need to move the membership question quickly and make provision for constitutional changes at the AGM ,as necessary, in order to assist the TAG futures process to develop.
Terry Jagger – thought TAG should push for alliances with other organisations and had no problem with the proposed approach, but need to think carefully about the pace of change. If on the outer ring of the petal model, a member needs to know if it is worth joining and was concerned about the three tiers of membership and where future members where coming from.
Keith Feltham – explained that there are new breeds of engineers who are not members of TAG and members need to work with them so that they see that it is a worthwhile organisation to join. Pace of change is important, but TAG needs to take an opportunity when it is offered.
Tony Williams – the pace of change also needs to be considered with respect to SOLACE. TAG also needs to encompass education, social services, lawyers and needs to look sideways to all other professional associations – KINDRED links need to be explored as he wouldn’t like to see a take over by SOLACE – when negotiating, TAG needs to start from a different model so that it ends up at the flower model.
Jo Field – other organisations have expressed an interest in TAG and felt that a press release and photo opportunity with SOLACE would be a signal to encourage others to join TAG.
John Rainbow – felt that two levels of membership might be more workable.
Adrian Golland – considered that two or three levels of membership was detail and was more concerned that TAG needs to be seen to be getting new members at the lower end ie early in their careers so that they stay with TAG throughout their career.
Harry Holden – considered that standing still was not an option for TAG and that if TAG did not act positively then time was not on our side.
Mike Farley – was unsure about a public sector network, but with equal member status it would have clout with government – if TAG pushes now it will help future membership.
Keith Millington – was keen to broaden the membership but simplicity was the key – he would be cautious about the timing of change, but as the pace of local government was fast, TAG had not got time to hang around and should take the lead.
John Holdsworth – felt that a message for one level of membership would boost membership recruitment.
Ian Cooper – referred to the 5 statements in the Senior Vice Presidents report, which should be approved.
Mike Westhead – regarding a public sector network, he felt that the TAG web site could become a joint site with TAG as one element of it.
Keith Feltham – closed the debate and suggested that a team should be set up for future negotiations –
APPENDIX No 2
IN COMMITTEE ROOM 3 AT THE GUILDHALL, LONDON
SOLACE AND TAG:
Working Together in the Interests of Local Government and their Members
Both Associations have taken time to reflect on their role and purpose in modern local government, and have seen the need for change so that the contribution of Chief Executives and Senior Managers, and of senior Technical Officers, to local government can be maximised.
Both also see that part of such change is to build links and relationships between the sister professional bodies of local government, and in public service more widely. There are a number of important areas where working together will enable both to be more effective than the sum of their individual efforts. These include the areas of policy development, of common services, of learning and professional development, and of greater sharing of the common culture of values and commitment which underpins the part which senior professional managers play in local government.
In recognition of that common agenda, the TAG Council and the SOLACE Honorary Officers Group and Executive Council are resolving to adopt a Joint Protocol to facilitate closer working. The documents ‘TAG Futures’ and ‘The Future of Solace’ provide essential background to this Protocol.
Terms of the Protocol
TAG and SOLACE agree to:
· Work towards developing a shared policy agenda, and collaborating on policy formation and the development of policy influence on Government and others
· Co-operate in providing opportunities for personal professional development for members, in the provision of seminars, and in other aspects of learning and development
· Consider the provision of common services to their members, including the administration of member databases, the possibility of TAG sharing the facilities of the SOLACE London office, and other matters of common practical concern
· Actively consider moving towards a collegiate relationship between Solace and TAG, and looking also towards a collegiate association for senior local government officers of all professional backgrounds
· Recognise the sensitivities of members of the existing Associations in terms of their status within a collegiate arrangement
Signed on behalf of Solace/TAG
|For further details contact:||Roy Fairclough|
|Minutes of Council Meetings|