MAXWELL BATLEY CONTRACTUAL AND LEGAL CONSULTANCY SERVICES
1. WHO ARE WE?
The Local Government Construction & Procurement Unit at law firm MAXWELL BATLEY partners with Local Government on a consultancy basis.
2. THE PARTNERING ARRANGEMENT
· Often, clients will come to us for quick, hard hitting and cost effective initial advice to enable them to consider all their future options.
· We are geared to work with Local Government, both in-house lawyers and managers. We are a team of legal/contractual advisers, who have developed strong personal relationships with various Councils, Boroughs and authorities, offering quick, direct lines of communication and advice.
· Generally, we take instructions on the telephone, by email and fax without the need for meetings unless requested. We can be utilised for specialist advice which cannot sometimes be obtained quickly in-house, but is not of the size and price to necessitate a formal competitive tendering process.
· We have considerable experience in working with Local Government, mainly in the areas of procurement/contract drafting and legal/contractual advice ranging from EU and TUPE, Best Value Directives through to dealing with contractual claims, negotiations and disputes. We have ties with Local Government-orientated organisations such as the Institute of Lighting Engineers, Association for Public Service Excellence and Technical Advisors Group. One of our advisors previously worked as an in-house solicitor in the Property & Construction Department at Greenwich Council. We have written/write a legal slot for the ILE Lighting Journal, APSE Direct News, The Technical Advisors Group Bulletin, Civil Engineering Surveyors Magazine, Construction News, Building and Construction Law Journal.
· In April 2004 the firm was awarded the Lexcel Quality Standard by the Law Society which demonstrates our commitment to a well managed practice and excellent customer service. 3. WHAT DO WE DO?
· By way of example, we are on the legal panel for Tunbridge Wells Council and have carried out work for London Borough of Barking & Dagenham, London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham, London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames, Shepway District Council, Leicester City Council, Middlesbrough Council.
· We have drafted contracts for highways, street lighting, street cleaning, grounds maintenance and refuse collection as well as other term contracts and large scale redevelopment contracts.
· We have given wide range dispute advice on time/loss and expense claims, run many adjudications, arbitrations and specialist construction court cases. Where necessary, through our close links with Specialist Counsel, we obtain Leading Counsel’s Opinion for the benefit of the Local Authority quickly and at a special price.
· We have given contractual/legal advice on EU Directives and tendering, Best Value in Local Government, Privately Influenced Companies, procurement routes and choice of contracts, e.g., NEC Partnering or ICE Term Version and Contractor Claims.
· We regularly draft Schedules of Amendments to Standard Form Contracts, Bonds, Guarantees, Warranties and Consultants’ Appointments. We advise on procurement routes and carry out pre-tender due diligence/audit checks.